Shocking CCTV footage has shown the fatal moment a tourist bus broke through a guardrail and plunged 30 feet off a bridge – killing 21 people including children and foreign tourists in a horror crash in Venice last night.
Investigators believe the driver of the coach – identified as 40-year-old Italian Alberto Rizzotto – had a ‘medical episode’, causing the electric vehicle to veer off the road.
The clip shows the bus had almost come to a stop on the busy motorway when it toppled sideways off the overpass and landed on its roof on another road below, causing the coach’s batteries to catch fire at around 7.45pm.
By Wednesday morning, 19 bodies had been pulled from the wreckage while a further two people died in hospital. Italy‘s ANSA news agency, quoting emergency services, said a baby and a 12-year-old were killed. Officials have said as many as 18 people were injured, five of whom are in a critical condition.
Miraculously, Italian reports said another newborn baby survived the crash. Firefighters are understood to have found him cradled in his parent’s arms. A four-year-old girl is also reported to have survived, but suffered ‘deep’ burns.
Investigators are already pouring over the footage from nearby traffic cameras which captured the crash unfolding to determine the cause of what has been described by Venice’s mayor as a ‘huge tragedy’.
One possible explanation being investigated is that the Rizzotto had a ‘medical episode’, officials said, with one noting that the road was ‘straight and there were no bends’ and that footage appeared to show the bus ‘drifting’ towards the guardrail.